Wednesday, July 17, 2013

CRAWLING IN THE DIRT




Yesterday was my first workout with my friend/trainer Mike. He was so kind to offer to help me on my quest to be a better version of myself and help others in the process. I will have more information about him at later dates including photos. Let's just say I am lucky to have supportive people like Mike in my corner as I continue on the path of fitness and weight loss. I am very grateful for that.

We arrived at this lovely little park with machines, a little path and a grassy area. We started with burpees, and I struggled I cannot lie. I actually ran a little, did some speed walking, did all the machines etc and I crawled in the dirt. Did you hear that correctly? This bona fine east coast girlie girl whose sister claims she brought a curling iron camping years ago crawled in the dirt. You know what? It may have felt a little awkward, a little hard to do but it was kind of like being a kid again. You know when you were a kid you were not afraid to get your hands dirty, and by the end of the day all other parts of you were dirty too. When I arrived home I had grass in my hair, and I felt like a kid again. This journey is going to also be an adventure, so why not approach working out like playtime when you were a kid. After all, in some ways I really am a kid at heart.

We continued on with the workout, and it was a bit of a struggle for me to keep up, to catch my breath etc. I am out of shape but that is changing now. I did my best and I will continue to improve as I venture forward. Now when I reflect on the exercises I cannot decipher if they were super difficult or just felt awkward and funny to do. I expected to feel somewhat intimidated working out with a trainer but Mike is so nice that I  felt relaxed. He is nice but not soft and he gets it done. I respect his manner of training very much. He even plans to do my measurements soon, ( more numbers), and a full body assessment including checking my oxygen levels. How cool is that? 

So I crawled in the dirt, and did my stretches in the grass sans mat and loved every minute of it. I am going to do the workout again this week on my own. I probably for now will work out with Mike on Tuesdays schedules permitting but will perform his workout two times a week to start on my own.  It was fun and I can see how it makes you stronger and fit. Luckily I am not too sore as I wake up this morning.  I never expected to feel so liberated with everything I am trying and doing to make My Change for a Ten a success. I am feeling grateful, inspired, liberated and extremely motivated. 
Namaste'
Rose

2 comments:

  1. Yay Burpees! :) It sounds like a fun workout! :D Getting dirty can definitely be fun. I agree it's liberating to just enjoy yourself again. Appreciate all the movements and things your body is capable, and pay attention to how quickly you gain strength!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soon I will be able to do more of your workouts Melissa Bender. You are such an inspiration to me!!!

    ReplyDelete