Saturday, July 13, 2013

HIGH ON RICHARD SIMMONS' ENERGY



I was up late last night, and my husband basically did not think I would wake up to go to the Richard Simmons exercise class. It was his 65th Birthday yesterday, and today's class was a special one. You had to be there early to secure a place. I had promised Joanne and Susan from the video shoot that I would be there. It has been on my bucket list since I have moved to Los Angeles, and the icing on the cake was the opportunity to be in his video, but I still wanted to attend his class as well.

I woke up  completely tired and almost decided to stay home. Then I remembered a promise I made to myself, to follow through with everything I say I will do.  So I got myself ready, ate a little oatmeal and fruit and made my way to the Slimmons Studio in Beverly Hills.

The minute I arrived people were already signing in two hours in advance. I met some new lovely people and caught up with Joanne and Susan from the video shoot. The energy in the room was like nothing I have experienced, it was completely electric and Richard wasn't even in the building yet. People mingled, the music played loud and I swore I was going to jump out of my skin. I had goosebumps.

All of a sudden  Richard Simmons enters the studio, in all of his glory dressed in orange as bright as the sun, and I think he radiates as much energy as the sun. One could bottle this feeling and make a million dollars. I can see why he is considered such an icon. He comes in, yells "Hi Everybody" and basically the room takes off like a firecracker on speed.

We did a dance aerobic routine that made me sweat bullets, and the music was fantastic. It was a mix of old and new. He played Neon Trees, my favorite. Everyone sings along as they move, and I have not had this much fun since my theater and dance days. Then comes the soul train style dancing, when he picks people to go in the middle of the room to dance with him.  He makes the men take off their shirts, and you almost feel like you are either at a strip club or a rock concert. Everyone is moving, sweating, smiling, hooting and hollering. I don't think I have smiled or laughed that much in ages.

After the aerobics and dance portion, there was free weights and mat work. At the end of the class everyone sits up on their mat and listens to Richard's motivational speech to wrap up the class. He basically said if something is wrong, change it. Your birthday is not your dead day, it is a birthday so get to living. 

The class ended and Mr Simmons had time for some quick photo ops and then  he was off to finish a portion of his music video. This man is 65 and he is so energetic. I was completely moved, inspired and high on life. I plan to go back, it is literally just blocks from my house.

I left with an extra pep in my step. I exchanged contact information with the wonderful new friends I encountered. I felt like I was walking on a cloud. If anyone is ever in Los Angeles I highly recommend you attend a Slimmons class in Beverly Hills. You will not be sorry. 

This was a perfect way to motivate me to continue on my quest to get to my first ten pounds the healthy fit way, while having fun in the process.  My first week of My Change For A Ten wrapped on a high note, not unlike the voice of Richard Simmons as he yells at you to get moving and sweat. 

Namaste'
Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment