Saturday, November 2, 2013

HEALTHY AND EASY VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP


My Mother in Law Julie Bailey used to make us the best homemade Vegetable Beef Soup. When I would visit on a cold January day she would whip up this one pot wonder, and serve it with some warmed crusty Italian bread. Comfort food at it's finest. My recipe is inspired by my dear Mother in Law, but with a healthy My Change For A Ten twist, with the help of Trader Joe's here in West Hollywood CA.

I am just a little obsessed with Trader Joe's, particularly my neighborhood Trader Joe's. The staff is the best you will ever find anywhere, always there to help and say hello to you by name. It makes me feel like I live in this little idyllic town. When my cat passed away last January one of the amazing staff members gave me a Dragon Plant, which means healing. I actually look forward to reading the famous Flyer, it is so witty and I have to admit I buy into the cute advertisements.

This recipe is so easy and delicious. I skip the warmed loaf of bread but that would be a delicious addition to this one pot meal.

~You will need~

Three tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
One Mirepoix mix of Chopped celery, carrots, and onions
One package diced onions, garlic, and shallots
6 diced red skin potatoes
One small package of extra lean stew meat
Trader Joe's frozen organic foursome
1 large can diced tomatoes
Half package Crimini mushrooms
1 beef broth carton
1 low sodium vegetable broth carton
Basil, sea salt, ground pepper to taste
A dash of crushed red pepper (optional for heat)

Add olive oil to large pot and turn on flame to medium
Saute' shallots, onions, and garlic
Add Mirepoix mix or diced celery, additional diced onions, and diced carrots
After the vegetables cook for a few minutes and become transparent
Add cubes of meat, chopped into smaller pieces
Brown meat
Add 1 can tomatoes
Half packet Crimini Mushrooms
1 package organic foursome or frozen vegetable packet
6 diced raw red skin potatoes
1 carton low sodium vegetable broth
1 carton beef broth


Mix thoroughly and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to one hour.
Let cool a little and enjoy with oyster crackers, which are not high calorie if you watch your portion.
This soup is so easy.

I absolutely loved this soup, it is a new autumn staple in our home.
I always listen to Big Band music when I cook, especially The Andrew Sisters. I can almost imagine I am cooking dinner for my honey in a small but cozy flat in Manhattan or Los Angeles in the 1940's.

After all, a little Rum and Coca Cola never hurt anyone.





















No comments:

Post a Comment