Sunday, April 27, 2014

MY AUTHENTIC SELF

 
NEVER BEEN DRUNK
I consider myself adventurous, spontaneous and fun to be around. I am not shy and can walk up to anyone and say hello. I can be the life of the party so to speak, the first person on the dance floor but when I am around new friends the fact that I have never been drunk is always of question. Yes, I have never been drunk. I do drink a cocktail on occasion but I admit those occasions are far and few between. I have never felt the need to be inebriated and this has always been the case. I am a leader and not a follower so in my teen years I never succumbed to the pear pressure to drink.

Flash forward to the present, I am married and yes my husband does drink, he enjoys his weekend Corona and lime. He finds it fascinating that after all of these years I have never even been curious what it feels like to feel the affects of alcohol or the desire for intoxication. My lack of drunkenness comes up in his conversations with friends who question how does our marriage work when we are on the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of the desire for a drink. It works because I am not against alcohol nor do I fear it. I believe everything in moderation unless one has an addiction. I am a non judgemental person and I do not impose how I live my life on others.

With that said, why do I not feel the urge to be buzzed, high, three sheets to the wind? I could tell you my body is my temple and that is my reasoning but I would be lying through my teeth with my history of eating disorders when I was younger.  My body is my temple now, but it took me years to learn to treat it as such.  I am a work in progress much like many other people finding their path in life.  I just never felt the attraction to being under the influence and unaware of my surroundings. I have always felt so high off the joy of being alive and I did not need to be out of my body to get that sensation. I was already feeling the euphoria without the hangover. 

My husband and I were walking home from the grocery store, and we had a heavy bag and a case of Corona. I offered to carry his Corona and he quipped I could not carry that. Working out regularly has made is much easier to do mundane chores and I carried the Corona with ease. He found this image of me holding his beer to be quite humorous and he decided to snap a photo to share with his doubting friends who told him to never trust a person who has never been drunk. I guess I may be the acceptation to the rule. 
Salute
Opa'
Cheers
Or in my own language
Namaste'
Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment