Saturday, September 21, 2013

MOM'S VEGETARIAN SPLIT PEA SOUP


My evenings have been very busy with yoga and working out, and walking for an hour a day. I do not always have time to cook daily like I did before, so I look for meals that can last more than a day. I love to cook one pot soups, especially as autumn approaches. One of my favorite go to soups is my Mom's Vegetarian Split Pea. It is a pot of delicious healthy soup, and so simple you could probably cook it in your sleep. You can add whatever extra vegetables you like to the soup, to make it your own. It is high in protein and fiber and low in fat. I do not puree' it, I like the texture in its natural state. I love to have a few crackers with it, it warms me up from the inside out. 

This recipe first came to me from my lovely Mother, for years when I lived in Cleveland, Ohio I was a vegetarian and she would whip up meals for me that would work for my lifestyle. This is one I have learned and adapted as my own, one of many. I am blessed to have such an amazing Mother and teacher, and my husband reaps the benefits as well. 
Enjoy!!
Namaste'
Love and light
Rose

You will need

I bag dried split peas
2 carton of low sodium vegetable broth
1 Mirepoix mix from Trader Joe's ( Chopped up celery, carrots, and onions) If you cannot find Mirepoix mix use one medium onion, 5 celery stalks, and 5 carrots, chopped.
Garlic cloves, I use 5 chopped
Sea Salt 
Ground pepper
dried basil
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil

This is really the easiest soup.

Warm the extra virgin oil for a few seconds in a large pot. Add the Mirepoix mix and the garlic and saute' until translucent. I like mine cooked so I saute' mine for at least five minutes. I flavor the veggies with a bit of sea salt, a generous does of ground pepper and basil. You can add whatever vegetables you like. Sometimes I add kale to my soup.

After the veggies cook, I add the 2 cartons of vegetarian broth, the whole bag of split peas, and I bring it to a boil.

Season it a bit more, and cover and bring the temperature to low and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Boom, you have soup. It is that easy. Serve with crackers or some warmed whole grain bread from the oven. I skip the bread since I am working so hard on my My Change For a Ten weight loss and I may not be able to have just one slice.
This soup lasts only two days in my house, because my husband eats three bowls at a time.:-)
Manga'

No comments:

Post a Comment