Friday, September 13, 2013

YOGA AND A STARRY NIGHT



Good Morning and Happy Friday. Yesterday I took my first Iyengar Yoga class at Yogaworks in West Hollywood.
 (Named after and developed by B. K. S. Iyengar, is a form of Hatha Yoga that has an emphasis on detail, precision and alignment in the performance of posture (asana) and breath control (pranayama). The development of strength, mobility and stability is gained through the asanas)

It was a wonderful class, and it really worked your body. It is much slower than Vinyasa but you really get deep in the poses, and learn what they do for your body. It is about connecting to your mind to your body, and getting in the pose first through your thought process. Mind and body together as one. The yoga teacher was amazing. I used to volunteer at City Yoga, where Yogaworks in West Hollywood is located, and coming to classes there in a way is like a homecoming. The  two spaces feel like sanctuary's to me, so much so I can imagine the building was once a church or temple.
The trees are right outside the beautiful open windows, and the breeze came in like a gentle nudge to remember to breathe. I can tell I am going to love practicing yoga at Yogaworks in West Hollywood. The management and staff are very friendly and thoughtful and they answer all of your questions. Anna from City Yoga is working there, and it was lovely to see her smiling face.


Afterwards I asked if I can take some photos of the space in the future, and I was granted permission to do so. I will post those at a future date. 
After class I walked home and watched the sun set these unreal hues of pink and purple. On the way home I stopped in a used book store to purchase a beach read for our outing Saturday, and oh what a find I discovered. It is all about this man who loses everything, and he decided to bike his way cross country. He meets some interesting souls on his new journey. I thought it was the perfect beach read, since I am on a journey of sorts myself. It is called The Memory of Running, a novel written by author Ron McLarty. 

When I left the bookstore all of the stars had appeared like a kaleidoscope for weary eyes. I wanted to go lay in the grass somewhere, and stargaze with the cool September breeze upon my surrendering body. I love to just lay down and look up at the marvel of the vast night sky. We truly are just a spec in this spectacular universe. There is so much more out there, it really puts everything into a clear perspective.

Well enough of my musings for the day. Coffee, breakfast and work await. Tonight I am either working out at the gym or walking and taking another yoga class. Tonight's class is set to music, that should be just delightful.
Wishing you a breathtaking Friday, full of all of those simple moments that make life grand.
Namaste'
Love and Light
Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment